is something I struggle with… both on the giving and the receiving ends.
When I’ve been hurt, I want to hurt that person back… ten-fold. Unfortunately, even if I’m able to accomplish that, it doesn’t make me feel any better. It just makes me frustrated and sad that there’s so much hurt swirling around or that I had any part in it. I want to be a forgiving person… truly, I do. It’s something I’ve struggled with for a number of years and something that I admire greatly in other people.
I noticed a friend’s quote about forgiveness on Facebook today and it prompted me to surround myself with some quotes relevent to the forgiveness I’m trying to muster right now. In the interest of not only physical health, but mental health as well, I thought I’d share these little gems with you guys…
- We achieve inner health only through forgiveness – the forgiveness not only of others, but also of ourselves.
- Forgiveness does not change the past, but it does enlarge the future.
- You will know that forgiveness has begun when you recall those who hurt you and feel the power to wish them well.
- To forgive is to set a prisoner free and discover that the prisoner was you.
- When you hold resentment toward another, you are bound to that person or condition by an emotional link that is stronger than steel. Forgiveness is the only way to dissolve that link and get free.
- Forgiveness…. is giving up the hope that the past could have been any different.
I think I’ll print these off and carry them in my purse for a while so I can fall back on words of wisdom when I feel anger and resentment bubble up.